- PhD, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland 2013
- MSc, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore 2008
- BEng, Shandong University, China 2007
- Visiting Professor, Tsinghua University, China 2017
- Postdoctoral Scholar, Stanford University, United States 2014-2016
- Visiting Scholar, Monash University, Australia 2014
- Postdoctoral Researcher, EPFL, Switzerland, 2013-2014
- Project Officer, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore 2008-2009
Experimental geophysics and energy geomechanics, with emphasis on mechanism of induced seismicity, underground space development, and unconventional energy extraction and storage.
- Geothermal-driven technologies for passive enabling of urban sustainability solutions (NRF Intra-CREATE, 2020-2023)
- Stability evaluation of Singapore rocks in response to climate change (MOE Tier 1, 2020-2022)
- Full waveform inversion of microseismic data for monitoring hydraulic fracturing (MOE Tier 1, 2020-2022)
- Artificial intelligence based geological modelling and geo-data management system for virtual Singapore (NRF Virtual Singapore, 2019-2022)
- Underground liquefied natural gas (LNG) storage (SJ-NTU Corporate Lab, 2018-2021)
- A study of mechanisms of induced seismicity during geothermal extraction (NRF Commonwealth, 2018-2021)
- Period-multiplying slow slip as a precursor to induced earthquakes (MOE Tier 1, 2017-2019)
- Reactivation and permeability evolution of pre-existing faults in rock masses during the construction of underground storage reservoirs (NTU Startup Grant, 2016-2021)
- Injection induced seismicity and implications for seismic hazards (Swiss National Science Foundation, 2014-2016)
- Ji YL, Wu W* (2020) Injection-driven fracture activation in granite: mechanism and implications, Tectonophysics, 791, 228572.
- Rathnaweera TD, Wu W*, Ji YL, Ranjith PG (2020) Understanding injection-induced seismicity in enhanced geothermal systems: from the coupled thermo-hydro-mechanical process to anthropogenic earthquake prediction, Earth-science Reviews, 205, 103182.
- Jia YZ, Wu W*, Kong XZ (2020) Injection-induced slip heterogeneity on faults in shale reservoirs, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, 131, 104363.
- Ji YL, Wanniarachchi WAM, Wu W* (2020) Effect of fluid pressure heterogeneity on injection-induced fracture activation, Computers and Geotechnics, 123, 103589.
- Duan K, Ji YL, Xu NW, Wan ZJ, Wu W* (2019) Excavation-induced fault instability: possible causes and implications for seismicity, Tunneling and Underground Space Technology, 92, 103041.
- Ji YL, Wu W*, Zhao ZH (2019) Unloading-induced rock fracture activation and maximum seismic moment prediction, Engineering Geology, 262, 105352.
- Dang WG, Wu W*, Konietzky H, Qian JY (2019) Effect of shear-induced aperture change on fluid flow paths in rock fractures, Computers and Geotechnics, 114, 103152.
- Duan K, Ji YL, Wu W*, Kwok CY (2019) Unloading-induced failure of brittle rocks and implications for excavation-induced strain burst, Tunneling and Underground Space Technology, 84, 495-506.
- Wu W*, Recce JS, Gensterblum Y, Zoback MD (2017) Permeability evolution of slowly slipping faults in shale reservoirs, Geophysical Research Letters, 44(22), 11368-11375.
- Wu W*, Zoback MD, Kohli AH (2017) The impacts of effective stress and CO2 sorption on the matrix permeability of shale reservoir rocks, Fuel, 203, 179-186.