- SB, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1979
- SM, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1979
- PhD, University of California at Berkeley, 1985
- 1980-1982: Civil Engineer, Public Works Department (JKR), Malaysia
- 1982 Feb-August: Geotech/Structural Engineer, Sime-Crest Sdn Bhd, Malaysia
- 1982 Sept.-1985 August: Doctoral studies at the University of California at Berkeley
- 1985 Sept-present: Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore
||1985 - 1986: Lecturer, NTI |
||1987 - 1998: Senior lecturer, NTU |
||1999 – present: Associate Professor, NTU|
Member of Professional Societies
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Professional Engineer (Civil), Malaysia
- Member, Institution of Engineers, Malaysia
- Fulbright Scholar (Malaysian-American), 1982
Editorial Board Member
- Computers and Geotechnics, Elsevier
- Low, B.K. and Phoon, K.K. (2015). "Reliability-based design and its complementary role to Eurocode 7 design approach". Computers and Geotechnics, Elsevier, Vol. 65, 30-44.
- Low, B.K. (2014). "FORM, SORM, and spatial modeling in geotechnical engineering". Structural Safety, Elsevier, Vol. 49, 56-64.
- Low, B.K. and Einstein, H.H. (2013). "Reliability analysis of roof wedges and rockbolt forces in tunnels". Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, 38, 1-10.
- Lü, Q., Chan, C.L. and Low, B.K. (2013). "System Reliability Assessment for a Rock Tunnel with Multiple Failure Modes". Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 46(4), 821-833.
- Chan C.L. and Low B.K. (2012). “Probabilistic analysis of laterally loaded piles using response surface and neural network approaches.” Computers and Geotechnics, Elsevier, Vol. 43, 101–110.
- Ji J., and Low B.K. (2012). “Stratified Response Surfaces for System Probabilistic Evaluation of Slopes.” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0000711.
- Chan C.L. and Low B.K. (2011). “Practical second-order reliability analysis applied to foundation engineering”, Int J for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, Wiley, DOI: 10.1002/nag.1057.
- Lu Q. and Low B.K. (2011). “Probabilistic analysis of underground rock excavations using response surface method and SORM”, Computers and Geotechnics, Elsevier, Vol. 38, 1008–1021.
- Low B.K., Zhang J. and Tang Wilson H. (2011). “Efficient system reliability analysis illustrated for a retaining wall and a soil slope”, Computers and Geotechnics, Elsevier, Vol. 38, No. 2, 196–204.
- Li H.Z. and Low B.K. (2010). “Reliability analysis of circular tunnel under hydrostatic stress field.” Computers and Geotechnics, Elsevier, Volume 37, Issue 1-2, Pages 50-58.
- Chan C.L. and Low B.K. (2009). “Reliability analysis of laterally loaded piles involving nonlinear soil and pile behaviour.” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 135, No. 3, 431–443.
- Low B.K. (2008). “Efficient probabilistic algorithm illustrated for a rock slope”, Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, Springer-Verlag, Vol. 41, No. 5, 715-734.
- Low B.K., Lacasse S. and Nadim F. (2007). “Slope reliability analysis accounting for spatial variation”, Georisk: Assessment and Management of Risk for Engineered Systems and Geohazards, Taylor & Francis, London, Vol. 1, No. 4, pp.177-189.
- Low B.K. and Wilson H. Tang (2007). “Efficient spreadsheet algorithm for first-order reliability method.” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, Vol. 133, No. 12, pp.1378-1387.
- Low B.K. (2007). “Reliability analysis of rock slopes involving correlated nonnormals.” International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Volume 44, Issue 6, September 2007, 922-935.