- BSc (Hons), University of Glasgow 1981
- MEng, University of California, Berkeley 1987
- PhD, Nanyang Technological University 1994
- Associate Professor, Nanyang Technological University
- Senior Lecturer, Nanyang Technological University
- Deputy Director, Centre for Infrastructure Systems , CEE, NTU, May 2006 to June 2011, 2013-2018
- Deputy Director, Robotics Research Centre, CoE, NTU, 2015 to 2019
- Programme Director, MSc (ICM), CEE, 2017 to 2020
- Deputy Director, ICRM, NTU, July 2011 to June 2013
- MSc Programme Director, 1990-2008
Member of Professional Societies
- Professional Engineer (Singapore) since 1990
- Senior Member, Institution of Engineers, Singapore since 2015
Editorial Board Member
- Journal of Public Works Management & Policy, University of Southern California, The Keston Institute for Public Finance and Infrastructure Policy, California, USA
- Chinese Management Studies, Emerald Publishing, UK
- Journal of Engineering, Design & Technology, South Africa
Main research interest
His research and consulting interests focus on BIM, Lean Construction, Precast, Prefabrication, DFMA, PPVC, PBU, Productivity Evaluation and Improvement, Construction Project Management, Underground Construction Risk Assessment. More recently, he has focussed on BIM/VDC for Precast/PPVC and Automation and Robotics in Construction, Decision Aids for Tunnelling (DAT).
He has worked on the BIM projects with HDB. His latest BIM project was about the development a standard set of parametric BIM components generated for key HDB precast elements in order to shorten the precast shop drawings production and approval process.
The project also signified the steps that were taken in order to streamline the precast shop drawing production process for the purpose of achieving lean construction to further identify the constraints in the present workflow and propose a new improved workflow that would address the prevailing issues. He is a Professional Engineer in Singapore since 1990 and a member of the BCA Second BIM IPE (2015-2017).
Dr. Tiong has extensively published journal papers, including being the co-author of book chapter “Productivity through Management Control – Case: The UOB Plaza” in the Singapore Productivity Case Book, a joint publication between NTU and the former National Productivity Board, Singapore. Recently, he has been involved in the study of Smart Crane for Precast projects in Singapore.
Summary of Research Interests Areas:
- Building Information Modelling, Virtual Design and Construction
- Lean construction, Process Re-engineering, Process Mapping
- IT in Construction, Interoperability
- Prefabricated Prefinished Volumetric Construction, Prefabricated Bathroom Unit
- Underground Construction Risk Assessment, Life Cycle Analysis and Performance evaluation of Infrastructure and Construction Projects
- Sustainability, Climate Change impacts and mitigation. Sustainable development and systems
Current research project
- Adaptive Robotic Workcell for Standard Precast Construction Unit Manufacturing
- Automated Construction Quality Assessment Robot System
- Customization of Decision Aid for Tunnelling (DAT) Software for Construction Risk Assessment Studies for the Underground Science City (USC) at Kent Ridge and Underground Warehousing & Logistics Facility (UWLF) at Tanjong Kling/Jurong Hill
- Development of EUROCODE-compliant Innovative and Purpose-Built Solution for Precast Element Design
- Development of Quantitative Urban Environment Simulation Tool (QUEST) – Geospatial Services
- Enabling the role of building information modeling (BIM) for construction productivity
- Implementation of a Smart and Semi-Automated Precast Elements Logistics Management and Installation System
- Innovative/Sustainable Facility Management Tools for Public Buildings
- TEARDOWN Sub 1 - Wireless Sensor Networks Indoor Mapping and Detection
- Wireless Sensor Networks Indoor Mapping and Detection
- *Lin, J, Tai, K., Tiong, L.K.R. and Sim, M.S. (2018). “Modelling critical infrastructure network interdependencies and failure”. International Journal of Critical Infrastructures, Inderscience Publishers Ltd. (Accepted for publication).
- Yan, Rui Jun; Kayacan, Erdal; Chen, I-Ming; Lee, Kong Tiong; Wu, Jing (2018). T-ASE-2017-894 QuicaBot: Quality Inspection and Assessment Robot, Accepted for publication in March 2018 by the IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering.#
- Nini Xia, Rui Zhong, Xueqing Wang, Robert Tiong. (2018). "How to Buffer Family Costs of Project Citizenship Behavior? Investigating the Role of Task Self-efficacy and Work Meaninfulness”. Accepted in Nov 2017 for publication in the Project Management Journal, USA.
- Nini Xia, Rui Zhong, Xueqing Wang, Robert Tiong. (2018) Cross-domain negative effect of work-family conflict on project citizenship behavior: Study on Chinese project managers[J]. International Journal of Project Management, 2018. 36: 512-524. Journal Country, UK.#
- *Jiwei Lin; Kang Tai, PhD; Robert, Lee Kong Tiong, PhD; Mong Soon Sim, (2017). Analysing Impact on Critical Infrastructure Using Input-Output Interdependency Model: Case Studies. ASCE's ASCE-ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty in Engineering Systems, Part A: Civil Engineering, USA. Vol 3 No 4 Article NO 04017016.
- Lili Liu, RJ Yan, V Maruvan, E Kayacan, I M Chen, LK Tiong. (2017). “TLCAF:Transfer Learning on Convolutional Activation Feature as Applied to a Building Quality Assessment Robot.” The Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems. SAGE Publishing. Vol 14 N03, 1-12, 2017.
- *Chen Wen, Roman Hohl, Tiong Lee Kong (2017) “Rainfall Index Insurance for Corn Farmers in Shandong based on High-resolution Weather and Yield Data”, Agricultural Finance Review. Vol 77 Issue 2 pp 337-354. AFR-10-2015-0042.RS.
- *Wahab R and Tiong R. (2017). A multi-variate residential flood loss estimation model for Jakarta: an approach based on a combination of statistical techniques. Natural Hazards. Vol 86, Issue 2, pp 779-804 ISSN0921-030X. DO1 10.1007/s11069-016-2716z. Springer, USA.
- **Gou, X., Tiong, R.L.K, (2016) “Evaluation of Livestock I&T System in Respect of Contagious Disease Control Based on Adapted State-Transition Simulation Model”, in Journal of Advanced Agricultural Technologies, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 1-9.
- **Tushar Nath, **Meghdad Attarzadeh, RLK Tiong, (2016) “Precast Workflow Productivity Measurement Through BIM Adoption”, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, Management, Procurement and Law. DOI: 10.1680/jmapl.15.00045. Vol 169(5) pp 208-216. UK.
- *Lee, Irene Y. L., Chen, Huiyu; Tiong, Robert L. K. (2015) An Investigation into Tenant Organizations’ Willingness-to-Pay for the Intangible Value-Added Benefits of Sustainable Buildings, J. of Green Buildings, USA. V10 Issue No3. pp 191-213.
- **Attarzadeh, M., **Nath, T., & Tiong, R. L. (2015). Identifying key factors for building information modelling adoption in Singapore. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers-Management, Procurement and Law, 168(5), 220-231.
- *Zhe SHAO., **Varun, Maruvanchery., Lee Kong Tiong., Tiong Yong Teo., Kian Wee Ng. (2015) “DAT modifications and its application in large-sacle cavern construction”, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2015.07.007#
- *Chowdhury, A. N., Chen, P. H., & Tiong, R. L. (2015). Credit enhancement factors for the financing of independent power producer (IPP) projects in Asia. International Journal of Project Management, 33(7), 1576-1587.#
- *Shao, Z., & Tiong, R. L. K. (2015). Estimating Potential Economic Loss from Damage to RC Buildings in Singapore due to Far-Field Seismic Risk. Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 19(5), 770-783.#
- **Meghdad Attarzadeh., Tushar Nath**, RLK Tiong, (2015) “Identifying Key Factors (KFs) for Building Information Modelling Adoption in Singapore”, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Management, Procurement and Law, Volume 168, Issue 5, pp. 220-231, DOI: 10.1680/jmapl.15.00030.
- **Tushar Nath, **Meghdad Attarzadeh, RLK Tiong, C Chidam and Zhao Yu. (2015) “Productivity Improvement of precast shop drawings generation through BIM- - based process re-engineering.” J. of Automation in Construction, USA. Vol 54, pp54-68. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2015.03.014#
- Love, Peter ED; Xiangyu, Wang; Sing, Chun-pong and Tiong, LKR (2013). “Determining the probability of cost overruns in Australian construction and engineering projects.” ASCE’s Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. 139 (3) pp 321-330.#
- Willie Tan and Tiong, L.K.R. (2011 1st edition and 2015 2nd Edition). Book on “Project Finance: Principles, Techniques, and Cases.” Published by Pearson Publishing, Singapore.
- Tiong, L.K.R. (1992). "The structuring of Build-Operate-Transfer construction projects". First Construction Management Monograph of Centre for Advanced Construction Studies, NTU, Singapore, January
- Attarzadeh, M.,Nath, T., Lee, A., Tiong, R. (2017). "Building Information Modelling (BIM) for high-rise Prefinished Prefabricated Volumetric Construction (PPVC) in Singapore, Cast study- NTU Student Residence Hall Project." Book chapter of BIM Handbook, Third Edition. John Wiley & Sons, USA.
- Ali Najafi & Robert Tiong (2015). “Construction Productivity and Cost Estimations by Artificial Neural Networks”. Book chapter no 11 in “Measuring Construction: Prices, Output and Productivity”. Hardback book to be published in 2015 by Routledge, Taylors & Francis publications, UK.
- Sha,Z; Chowdhury, A.N. and Tiong, L.K.R. (2013) “ Private Participation in water sector: the development of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) in Singapore.” Book chapter in book on “Water Governance: An Evaluation of Alternative Architectures.” published in April 2013 by the Institute of Water Policy (IWP), Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy (LKYSPP), NUS.
- Bridge, Adrian J, Tiong, L.K.R., and S Q Wang (2010). “Value for money: Procuring Infrastructure.” In T.Yigitcanlar (Ed.). Book chapter in book on Sustainable Urban and Regional Infrastructure: Technology, Planning and Management. Publisher: Information Science Reference, Hershey, PA, USA.
- Tiong,L.K.R., and Joe Anderson (2003). “Public-private partnership in infrastructure projects: The Asian dimension.” Book chapter in “Public Private Partnerships – Managing Risks and Opportunities.” Blackwell Publishing, UK, March, pp 225-244.
- Lim, E.C., Tiong, L.K.R., and Yeo, K.T (1995). "Productivity through management control Case: The UOB Plaza". Book Chapter in The Singapore Productivity Case Book, Joint Publication Between NTU and National Productivity Board, Singapore, pp 5-23.