- Deputy Director of Management Committee For Robotics Research Centre (RRC)
- Deputy Director of Centre for Infrastructure Systems (CIS)
- Programme Director, M.Sc (International Construction Management)
BSc, MEng, PhD
Tel: (65) 6790-5253
- BSc (Hons), University of Glasgow 1981
- MEng, University of California, Berkeley 1987
- PhD, Nanyang Technological University 1994
- Associate Professor, Nanyang Technological University
- Senior Lecturer, Nanyang Technological University
- Deputy Director of Centre for Infrastructure Systems (CIS): 2005-2011
- MSc Programme Director: 1990-2008
Member of Professional Societies
- Professional Engineer (Singapore) since 1990
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers, USA since 1992
- Council Member & Research Chair, Institution of Facilities Management, Singapore since 2008
- Council Member, International Project Finance Association, (Singapore Chapter) London, UK since 2009
- Member, Academic Working Group, UNEP Sustainable Insurance Initiative since 2010
Editorial Board Member
- Journal of Management Science in Infrastructure and Built Environment, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Journal of Public Works Management & Policy, University of Southern California, The Keston Institute for Public Finance and Infrastructure Policy, California, USA
- Chinese Management Studies, Emerald Publishing, UK
- International Journal of Project Management, UK
- International Journal of Construction Management, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
- Journal of Engineering, Design & Technology, South Africa
- Journal of Financial Management of Property and Construction, Emerald Group Publishing, UK.
Main research interest
His research and consulting interests focus on BIM, Lean Construction, Precast, Prefabrication, DFMA, PPVC, PBU, Productivity Evaluation and Improvement, Construction Project Management, Underground Construction Risk Assessment. More recently, he has focussed on BIM/VDC for Precast/PPVC and Automation and Robotics in Construction, Decision Aids for Tunnelling (DAT).
He has worked on the BIM projects with HDB. His latest BIM project was about the development a standard set of parametric BIM components generated for key HDB precast elements in order to shorten the precast shop drawings production and approval process.
The project also signified the steps that were taken in order to streamline the precast shop drawing production process for the purpose of achieving lean construction to further identify the constraints in the present workflow and propose a new improved workflow that would address the prevailing issues. He is a Professional Engineer in Singapore since 1990 and a member of the BCA Second BIM IPE (2015-2017).
Dr. Tiong has extensively published journal papers, including being the co-author of book chapter “Productivity through Management Control – Case: The UOB Plaza” in the Singapore Productivity Case Book, a joint publication between NTU and the former National Productivity Board, Singapore. Recently, he has been involved in the study of Smart Crane for Precast projects in Singapore.
Summary of Research Interests Areas:
- Building Information Modelling, Virtual Design and Construction
- Lean construction, Process Re-engineering, Process Mapping
- IT in Construction, Interoperability
- Prefabricated Prefinished Volumetric Construction, Prefabricated Bathroom Unit
- Underground Construction Risk Assessment, Life Cycle Analysis and Performance evaluation of Infrastructure and Construction Projects
- Sustainability, Climate Change impacts and mitigation. Sustainable development and systems
Current research project
- Adaptive Robotic Workcell for Standard Precast Construction Unit Manufacturing
- Automated Construction Quality Assessment Robot System
- Customization of Decision Aid for Tunnelling (DAT) Software for Construction Risk Assessment Studies for the Underground Science City (USC) at Kent Ridge and Underground Warehousing & Logistics Facility (UWLF) at Tanjong Kling/Jurong Hill
- Development of EUROCODE-compliant Innovative and Purpose-Built Solution for Precast Element Design
- Development of Quantitative Urban Environment Simulation Tool (QUEST) – Geospatial Services
- Enabling the role of building information modeling (BIM) for construction productivity
- Implementation of a Smart and Semi-Automated Precast Elements Logistics Management and Installation System
- Innovative/Sustainable Facility Management Tools for Public Buildings
- TEARDOWN Sub 1 - Wireless Sensor Networks Indoor Mapping and Detection
- Wireless Sensor Networks Indoor Mapping and Detection
- Tushar Nath, Meghdad Attarzadeh, RLK Tiong, C Chidam and Zhao Yu. (2015) “Productivity Improvement of precast shop drawings generation through BIM- - based process re-engineering.” J. of Automation in Construction, USA. Vol 54, pp54 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2015.03.014.
- Meghdad Attarzadeh., Tushar Nath, RLK Tiong, (2015) “Identifying Key Factors (KFs) for Building Information Modelling Adoption in Singapore”, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Management, Procurement and Law, Volume 168, Issue 5, pp. 220-231, DOI: 10.1680/jmapl.15.00030.
- Tushar Nath, Meghdad Attarzadeh, RLK Tiong, (2016) “Precast Workflow Productivity Measurement through BIM Adoption”, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, Management, Procurement and Law, DOI: 10.1680/jmapl.15.00045.
- Zhe SHAO, Varun Maruvanchery, Robert Lee Kong Tiong, Tiong Yong Teo, Kian Wee Ng. (2015) “DAT modifications and its application in large-scale cavern construction”, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2015.07.007
- Awarded the Long Service Medal by the President of the Republic of Singapore in recognition of dedication to duty and continuous service with the University.
- Singapore Concrete Institute (SCI) Excellence Award (Innovators category) for the BCA PIP research project “Enhancing the Process of Preparing Precast Shop Drawing through BIM”. Project Team led by HDB and NTU, funded by BCA. NTU research team consists of Prof Robert Tiong (PI), Dr Meghdad Attarzadeh (RF) and Mr Tushar Nath (PO). November 2015.
- Second Runner-up BCA Construction Productivity Challenge, by Team of CEE Students, Supervised by Dr Meghdad Attarzadeh, and Prof Robert Tiong, October 2015.
- First Runner-up. The Society for Rock Mechanics & Engineering Geology (SRMEG) outstanding paper award 2016. Early Construction Cost and Time Evaluation of Large Scale Underground Cavern Construction Projects Using the Decision Aids for Tunnelling (DAT). Team led by Varun and Alex Shao Zhe, Supervised by Prof R Tiong. Feb 2016.