- BEng(1st Class Hons.), Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- MPhil, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- PhD, California Institute of Technology
- Assistant Professor, Nanyang Technological University (Sep 2010 – Present)
- Postdoctoral fellow, the University of Texas at Austin (Mar 2009 – Aug 2010)
- Teaching assistant, California Institute of Technology (Oct 2003 – Dec 2008)
- Teaching assistant, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Sep 2001 – June 2003)
- Research assistant, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (July 2001 – Sep 2001)
Member of Professional Societies
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Engineering Mechanics Institute (EMI)
- Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI)
Main research interest
- Catastrophe risk modelling, analysis, mitigation and management
- Reliability, Risk engineering and science
- Stochastic dynamics
- Complexity science
- Complex network systems and cascading failure
- Performance-based engineering
- Earthquake engineering
- Sustainable urban planning and development
- Climate change modelling and impact studies
- Optimal decision making, design and control under uncertainty
- Uncertainty quantification, system identification
- Structural and Infrastructural health monitoring
- Prudencio E. and Cheung, S.H. (2012). “Parallel Adaptive Multilevel Sampling algorithms for the Bayesian analysis of mathematical models”. International Journal for Uncertainty Quantification, in press.
- Taflanidis, A. and Cheung, S.H. (2012), “Stochastic sampling using moving least squares response surface approximations”. Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, 28: 216-224.
- Cheung, S.H., Oliver, T.A., Prudencio, E.E., Prudhomme, S. and Moser, R.D. (2011). “Bayesian Uncertainty Analysis with Applications to Turbulence Modeling”. Reliability Engineering & System Safety, 96(9): 1137-1149.
- Cheung, S.H. and Beck, J.L. (2010). “Calculation of posterior probabilities for Bayesian model class assessment and averaging from posterior samples based on dynamic system data”. Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, 25(5): 304-321.
- Katafygiotis, L.S., Cheung, S.H., and Yuen, K.V. (2010). “Spherical Subset Simulation (S3) for solving nonlinear dynamical reliability problems.” International Journal of Reliability and Safety, 4(2-3): 122-138.
- Cheung, S.H. and Beck, J.L. (2009). “Bayesian model updating using Hybrid Monte Carlo simulation with application to structural dynamic models with many uncertain parameters”. Journal of Engineering Mechanics-ASCE, 135(4): 243-255
- Katafygiotis, L.S., Cheung, S.H. (2007). “Application of Spherical Subset Simulation method and Auxiliary Domain Method on a benchmark reliability study”. Structural Safety (special issue on A Benchmark Study on Reliability in High Dimensions), 29(3): 194-207.
- Katafygiotis, L.S., Moan, T., and Cheung, S.H. (2007). “Auxiliary Domain Method for solving multi-objective dynamic reliability problems for nonlinear structures”. International Journal of Structural Engineering and Mechanics, 25(3): 347-363.