Tel: (65) 6790-5254
- BEng, BILI; MEng, INSA-Toulouse; PhD, INSA-Toulouse
- Associate Professor, Nanyang Technological University
- Assistant Professor, Nanyang Technological University
- Lee Kuan Yew Post-Doctoral Fellow, Nanyang Technological University
- Associate Chair (Research): 2010-present
Member of Professional Societies
- Member of International Water Association since 1999
Editorial Board Member
- Editorial advisory board member of “Recent Patents on Biotechnology” since 2007
- Editorial board member of “Open Biotechnology Journal” since 2009
- Editorial board member of “English-Chinese Dictionary of Water and Wastewater Technology”, China Architecture & Building Press, 2006
- Invited Guest Editor of special issue “Microbial Immobilization Technology for Wastewater Treatment” for “World Review of Science, Technology and Sustainable Development”, Vol 6, No. 2-4, 2009, Inderscience Publishers Ltd., USA, 2009
- Invited Guest Editor of special issue for “International Journal of Environment and Waste Management”, Vol. 7, Nos. 1/2, 2011, Inderscience Publishers Ltd., USA, 2011
- Editorial board member of “Chemosphere”, March 2012 to present
Main research interest
- Membrane bioreactor and membrane biofouling control
- Biofilms and biogranulation
- Innovative biological processes for wastewater reclamation
- Molecular and cellular communication mechanisms of microbial attachment and aggregation
Current research project
- Development of an anaerobic ceramic membrane bioreactor for wastewater treatment
Selected recent publications
- Paul E. and Liu Y. (2012) Biological Sludge Minimization and Biomaterials/Bioenergy Recovery. 450 pages estimated, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Xu H.J. and Liu Y.(2012) Chemically inhibited ATP synthesis promoted detachment of different-age biofilms from membrane surface. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology (in press)
- Agarwal A., Xu H.J, Ng W.J. and Liu Y. (2012) Biofilm detachment by self-collapsing air microbubbles: a potential chemical-free cleaning technology for membrane biofouling. Journal of Materials Chemistry 22, 2203-2207.
- Xiong Y.H. and Liu Y. (2012) Essential roles of eDNA and AI-2 in aerobic granulation in sequencing batch reactors operated at different settling times. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 93, 2645-2651.
- Li J.F., Yang F.L., Liu Y., Li D. and Cheng F.Q. (2012) Microbial community- and biomass characteristics-associated severe membrane fouling during start-up of a hybrid anoxic-oxic membrane bioreactor. Bioresource Technology 103, 43-47.
- Xu H.J. and Liu Y. (2011) Reduced microbial attachment by D-amino acid-inhibited AI-2 and EPS production. Water Research 45, 5796-804.
- Agarwal A., Ng W.J. and Liu Y. (2011) Principle and applications of microbubble and nanobubble technology for water treatment. Chemosphere 84, 1175-1180.
- Xu H.J. and Liu Y. (2011) D-amino acid mitigated membrane biofouling and promoted biofilm detachment. Journal of Membrane Science 376, 266-274.
- Xu H.J. and Liu Y. (2011) Control and cleaning of membrane biofouling by energy uncoupling and cellular communication. Environmental Science & Technology 45, 595-601
- Maszenan A.M., Liu Y. and Ng W.J. (2011) High-performance anaerobic granulation processes for treatment of wastewater containing recalcitrant compounds. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology 41, 1271-1308.
- Shen L., Xu H.L. and Liu Y. (2011) Microbial characterization of the biofilms developed for treating ampicillin-bearing wastewater. Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A Toxic/Hazardous Substance & Environmental Engineering 46, 314-322.
- Maszenan A.M., Liu Y. and Ng W.J. (2011) Bioremediation of wastewaters with recalcitrant organic compounds and metals by aerobic granules. Biotechnology Advances 29, 111-123.
- Books, Book Chapters and SCI Journals Papers
- Inclusion in the 15th and 16th editions "Who's Who in the World".
- Inclusion in "Dictionary of Scientists and Inventors of Modern China", Vol. 4.
- France governmental scholarship for Master and Ph.D. study from 1989 to 1994.
- Young academic leading expert awarded by the Beijing Municipal Government 1998.
- Lee Kuan Yew Fellowship, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore 1998
- Singapore National Technology Awards, 2003