- PhD, Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), China 1992
- BE, Zhejiang University, China 1984
- Associate Professor / Professor, Nanyang Technological University
- Senior Research Scientist/Group Leader/Deputy Centre Director/Centre Director, Institute of Environmental Science & Engineering (IESE), Singapore
- Assistant Professor / Associate Professor, Institute of Process Engineering (IPE), CAS, China
Editorial Board Member
- Editor - Journal of Membrane Science
- Editorial Board Member - Desalination
Dr Rong Wang is currently a Professor and Chair in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. She also holds the position of Director, Singapore Membrane Technology Centre (SMTC). She is the founding President of Membrane Society in Singapore (MEMSIS).
Dr Wang received her Bachelor degree from Zhejiang University, China in 1984 and PhD degree from Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) in 1992. Prior to joining CEE, NTU, she was a Senior Research Scientist/Group Leader/Deputy Centre Director/Centre Director at the Institute of Environmental Science & Engineering (IESE), Singapore. She also worked at the Institute of Process Engineering (IPE), CAS as an Assistant Professor/Associate Professor before joining IESE in 1999.
Dr Wang has over 30 years of experience in Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Water and Energy related research and innovation. She specializes in novel membrane development for water and wastewater treatment, liquid purification and gas separation, and in development of novel hybrid membrane systems and process simulation.
Dr Wang has over 260 SCI tracked journal publications (cited times: >12400, h-index: 64 @Web of Science) and over 150 conference contributions. She is the inventor of 24 patents/ technical disclosures for novel membrane fabrication. One patent led to the setup of a spin-off company, Aquaporin Asia, in 2011 for biomimetic membrane commercialization. Another spin-off company, Aromatec Pte Ltd, was formed in 2018 based on the forward osmosis (FO) membrane technology developed by her team. She has co-authored 12 book chapters. She is an Editor of Journal of Membrane Science, and also on the editorial board of Desalination.
Prof. Wang was featured among the top 25 leading water researchers globally by Lux Research in 2013, and was the winner of Singapore Minister for National Development R&D Award in 2013. She received a prestigious “Alternative Water Prize” from Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz International Prize for Water (PSIPW) of Saudi Arabia in 2016, and Nanyang Research Award in 2018. She was appointed to President’s Chair in Civil and Environmental Engineering at NTU in 2019.
- XS Li, Q Li, WX Fang, R Wang, WB Krantz. Effects of the support on the characteristics and permselectivity of thin film composite membranes, Journal of Membrane Science, 580 (2019) 12-23.
- Q Li, XS Li, LL Ning, CH Tan, YG Mu, R Wang. Hyperfast Water Transport through Biomimetic Nanochannels from Peptide-Attached (pR)-pillararene, Small, 15 (2019)
- NGP Chew, SS Zhao, C Malde, R Wang. Polyvinylidene fluoride membrane modification via oxidant-induced dopamine polymerization for sustainable direct-contact membrane distillation, Journal of Membrane Science, 563(2018) 31-42
- SR Qi, WX Fang, W Siti, W Widjajanti, X Hu, R Wang. Polymersomes-based high-performance reverse osmosis membrane for desalination. Journal of Membrane Science, 555 (2018) 177-184
- XS Li, CH Loh, R Wang, W Widjajanti, J Torres, Fabrication of a robust high-performance FO membrane by optimizing substrate structure and incorporating aquaporin into selective layer, Journal of Membrane Science, 525 (2017) 257-268
- SS Zhao, J. Minier-Matar, SR Chou, R Wang, AG. Fane, S Adham. Gas field produced/process water treatment using forward osmosis hollow fiber membrane: membrane fouling and chemical cleaning. Desalination, 402 (2017): 143-151.
- S. K. Lim, L. Setiawan, T. H. Bae, R. Wang, Polyamide-imide hollow fiber membranes crosslinked with amine-appended inorganic networks for application in solvent-resistant nanofiltration under low operating pressure, Journal of Membrane Science, 501 (2016) 152-160
- S. Qi, R. Wang, Aquaporin-based biomimetic reverse osmosis membranes: stability and long term performance, Journal of Membrane Science, 508 (2016) 94-103
- WX Fang,C. Liu, L. Shi, R. Wang, Composite forward osmosis hollow fiber membranes: Integration of RO- and NF-like selective layers for enhanced organic fouling resistance, Journal of Membrane Science, 492 (2015) 147-155
- C. Liu, L. Shi, R. Wang, Crosslinked layer-by-layer polyelectrolyte nanofiltration hollow fiber membrane for low-pressure water softening with the presence of SO42- in feed water; Journal of Membrane Science, 486 (2015) 169-176
- XS Li, S. Chou, R. Wang, L. Shi, WX Fang, G. Chaitra, CY Tang, J. Torres, X. Hu, A.G. Fane, Nature gives the best solution for desalination: Aquaporin-based hollow fiber composite membrane with superior performance, Journal of Membrane Science, 494 (2015) 68-77
- A.G. Fane, R. Wang, X. Hu, Synthetic Membranes for Water Purification: Status and Future, Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 54 (11) (2015) 3368-86
- Y. Zhang, R. Wang, Novel method for incorporating hydrophobic silica nanoparticles on polyetherimide hollow fiber membranes for CO2 absorption in gas-liquid membrane contactor, Journal of Membrane Science, 452 (2014) 379-389
- S. Chou, R. Wang, A.G. Fane, Robust and High performance hollow fiber membranes for energy harvesting from salinity gradients by pressure retarded osmosis, Journal of Membrane Science, 448(2013) 44-54
- W. Fang, L. Shi, R. Wang, Interfacially polymerized composite nanofiltration hollow fiber membranes for low-pressure water softening, Journal of Membrane Science, 430 (2013), 129-139
- S. Chou, R. Wang, L. Shi, Q. She, C.Y. Tang, A. G. Fane, Thin-film composite hollow fiber membranes for pressure retarded osmosis (PRO) process with high power density, Journal of Membrane Science, 389 (2012) 25-33
- R. Wang, L. Shi, C. Y. Tang, S. Chou, C. Qiu, A.G. Fane, Characterization of novel forward osmosis hollow fiber membranes, Journal of Membrane Science, 355 (2010) 158–167