- PhD, Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), China 1992
- BE, Zhejiang University, China 1984
- Associate Professor / Professor, Nanyang Technological University
- Senior Research Scientist/Group Leader/Deputy Centre Director/Centre Director, Institute of Environmental Science & Engineering (IESE), Singapore
- Assistant Professor / Associate Professor, Institute of Processing Engineering (IPE), CAS, China
Editorial Board Member
- Editor - Journal of Membrane Science
- Editorial Board Member - Desalination
Dr Rong Wang is currently a Professor and Chair in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. She also holds the position of Director, Singapore Membrane Technology Centre (SMTC). She is the founding President of Membrane Society in Singapore (MEMSIS).
Dr Wang received her Bachelor degree from Zhejiang University, China in 1984 and PhD degree from Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) in 1992. Prior to joining CEE, NTU, she was a Senior Research Scientist/Group Leader/Deputy Centre Director/Centre Director at the Institute of Environmental Science & Engineering (IESE), Singapore. She also worked at the Institute of Processing Engineering (IPE), CAS as an Assistant Professor/Associate Professor before joining IESE in 1999.
Dr Wang has over 25 years of experience in Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Water and Energy related R&D. She specializes in novel membrane preparation and characterization for water and wastewater treatment, liquid purification and gas separation, and in development of novel hybrid membrane systems and process simulation.
Dr Wang has over 200 SCI tracked journal publications (cited times: >7100, h-index: 48 @Web of Science) and over 100 conference contributions. She is the inventor of 23 patents/ technical disclosures for novel membrane fabrication. One patent led to the setup of a spin-off company, Aquaporin Asia in 2011 for biomimetic membrane commercialization. She has co-authored 12 book chapters. She is an Editor of Journal of Membrane Science, and also on the editorial board of Desalination. Dr Wang was a co-recipient of the Minister for National Development R&D Award (Merit) 2013 in Singapore. She was featured among the top 25 leading water researchers globally by Lux Research 2013. In 2016, Dr Wang won a prestigious award, “the Alternative Water Resources Prize” under the Prince Sultan Bin Abdulaziz International Prize for Water (PSIPW) 2016.
Dr Wang's main research interests cover membrane science & technology, chemical & environmental engineering processes. She focuses on
- Development of various novel membranes such as forward osmosis (FO)/pressure retarded osmosis (PRO) hollow fiber membranes, biomimetic membranes, low pressure nanofiltration (NF) membranes, hydrophobic membrane distillation (MD) membranes, extractive membranes and mixed matrix membranes for membrane-based separation & purification processes for water and energy productions;
- Membrane surface modification for fouling control in water & wastewater treatments; modification of microporous membranes to enhance membrane surface hydrophobicity for MD and membrane contactor applications;
- Brine processing by membrane distillation crystallization and membrane distillation module design;
- Simulation and optimization of various membrane processes such as forward osmosis membrane process for seawater desalination; CO2 capture in membrane contactors; concentration polarization in FO/UF membrane systems and separation of mixed gases in membrane modules, etc.
Research Grant / Project
- Synthetic Channel-Based Biomimetic Membranes for Desalination - EWI, (05/2016-04/2019)
- Robust and high performance aquaporin-based biomimetic membranes for water reuse, desalination and energy recovery - EWI, (09/2014-08/2017)
- Application of Forward Osmosis to reduce Produced Water injection volumes in Qatari gas fields - ConocoPhillips Water Technology, (03/2014-02/2016)
- Development of pressure retarded osmosis membrane with high power density for osmotic power harvesting - EWI, (02/2013-01/2017)
- Development of high-performance membranes for the recovery of methane from anaerobic digestion processes - EWI, (09/2014-08/2017)
- Dual-functional hybrid membrane based on carbon aerogels for highly efficient oil removal from wastewater - EWI/NRF, (10/2014-09/2017)
- Biomimetic water desalination process: learning from mangrove - EWI/NRF, (11/2014-Oct. 2017)
- A novel extractive membrane bioreactor for recalcitrant organics removal - EWI RFP, (02/2013-01/2017)
- Q. She, R. Wang, A.G. Fane, C.Y. Tang, Membrane fouling in osmotically driven membrane processes: a review. Journal of Membrane Science, 499 (2016) 201-233
- S. K. Lim, L. Setiawan, T. H. Bae, R. Wang, Polyamide-imide hollow fiber membranes crosslinked with amine-appended inorganic networks for application in solvent-resistant nanofiltration under low operating pressure, Journal of Membrane Science, 501 (2016) 152-160
- S. Qi, R. Wang, Aquaporin-based biomimetic reverse osmosis membranes: stability and long term performance, Journal of Membrane Science, 508 (2016) 94-103
- J.Wei, QH She, R.Wang, Influence of macromolecular additive on reinforced flat-sheet thin film composite pressure-retarded osmosis membranes, Journal of Membrane Science, 511 (2016) 54-64
- WX Fang,C. Liu, L. Shi, R. Wang, Composite forward osmosis hollow fiber membranes: Integration of RO- and NF-like selective layers for enhanced organic fouling resistance, Journal of Membrane Science, 492 (2015) 147-155
- C. Liu, L. Shi, R. Wang, Crosslinked layer-by-layer polyelectrolyte nanofiltration hollow fiber membrane for low-pressure water softening with the presence of SO42- in feed water; Journal of Membrane Science, 486 (2015) 169-176
- XS Li, S. Chou, R. Wang, L. Shi, WX Fang, G. Chaitra, CY Tang, J. Torres, X. Hu, A.G. Fane, Nature gives the best solution for desalination: Aquaporin-based hollow fiber composite membrane with superior performance, Journal of Membrane Science, 494 (2015) 68-77
- Y. Li, R. Wang, S.Qi, CY. Tang, Tang Chuyang, Structural stability and mass transfer properties of pressure retarded osmosis (PRO) membrane under high operating pressures, Journal of Membrane Science, 488 (2015) 143-153
- M Tian, R. Wang, KL Goh, Y. Liao. A.G. Fane, Synthesis and characterization of high-performance novel thin film nanocomposite PRO membranes with tiered nanofiber support reinforced by functionalized carbon nanotubes Journal of Membrane Science, 486 (2015) 151-160
- A.G. Fane, R. Wang, X. Hu, Synthetic Membranes for Water Purification: Status and Future, Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 54(11) (2015) 3368-86
- Y. Zhang, R. Wang, Novel method for incorporating hydrophobic silica nanoparticles on polyetherimide hollow fiber membranes for CO2 absorption in gas-liquid membrane contactor, Journal of Membrane Science, 452 (2014) 379-389
- S. Chou, R. Wang, A.G. Fane, Robust and High performance hollow fiber membranes for energy harvesting from salinity gradients by pressure retarded osmosis, Journal of Membrane Science, 448(2013) 44-54
- W. Fang, L. Shi, R. Wang, Interfacially polymerized composite nanofiltration hollow fiber membranes for low-pressure water softening, Journal of Membrane Science, 430 (2013), 129-139
- S. Chou, R. Wang, L. Shi, Q. She, C.Y. Tang, A. G. Fane, Thin-film composite hollow fiber membranes for pressure retarded osmosis (PRO) process with high power density, Journal of Membrane Science, 389 (2012) 25-33
- R. Wang, L. Shi, C. Y. Tang, S. Chou, C. Qiu, A.G. Fane, Characterization of novel forward osmosis hollow fiber membranes, Journal of Membrane Science, 355 (2010) 158–167