B.Eng., MPhil., Ph.D., MHKIE, MIES, MASCE, MEERI
Tel: (65) 6790 6102
Dr Au obtained BEng (1995) and MPhil (1997) from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and PhD (2001) from the California Institute of Technology, all in civil engineering. Before the present position he has held academic positions at NTU, City University of Hong Kong and University of Liverpool (UK). Dr Au is a chartered civil engineer in Hong Kong. He chaired the ASCE Dynamics Committee (2014-17); is Associate Editor of Structural Health Monitoring (Sage), Journal of Risk & Uncertainty Analysis in Engineering (ASCE-ASME) and Earthquake Spectra (EERI, Sage); and is Editorial Board Member of Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics (Elsevier).
Dr Au performs fundamental and applied research in engineering reliability methods and structural health monitoring. He has developed an advanced Monte Carlo method called Subset Simulation that has found applications in uncertainty propagation and rare event simulation in many disciplines, e.g., earthquake, geotechnical, aerospace, fire, electrical, meteorological and nuclear engineering. The work led to the monograph ‘Engineering Risk Assessment with Subset Simulation’ (Wiley).
Dr Au is experienced in full-scale dynamic testing of structures and has consulted on structural vibration projects on long-span pedestrian bridges, large-span floors, super-tall buildings and microtremors for seismic microzonation. Recent research in this area focuses on fundamental theory, computational algorithm and practical implementation of Bayesian approach for modal identification and structural system identification of full-scale structures. The work led to the monograph ‘Operational Modal Analysis: Modelling, Bayesian Inference, Uncertainty Laws’ (Springer).
Dr Au is a recipient of the IASSAR Junior Research Prize (2005), Nishino Prize (2011), JSPS Fellowship (2014) and Tan Chin Tuan Fellowship (2015).
| Google Scholar | Researcher-ID |
- Zhu Z, Au SK, Wang XR (2019). “Calibration of instrument noise with arbitrary sensor orientations”. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 117:879-892.
- Au SK, Brownjohn JMW, Mottershead JE (2018). “Quantifying and managing uncertainty in operational modal analysis”. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 102:139-157.
- Seppänen JM, Au SK, Turunen J, Haarla LC (2017). “Bayesian Approach in the Modal Analysis of Electromechanical Oscillations”. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 32(1):316-325.
- Au SK, Zhang FL (2016). “Fundamental two-stage formulation for Bayesian system identification. Part I: General theory”. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 66-67:31-42.
- Au SK, To P (2012). “Full-scale validation of dynamic wind load on a super-tall building under strong wind”. Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 138(9):1161-1172.