- PhD Birmingham University 1980
- MSc (Water Resources Engrg) Birmingham University 1978
- BSc (Civil Engrg) University of London, Queen Mary Coll. 1977
- Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, NUS, 1981 – 1986;
- Senior Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, NUS, 1987 - 1992;
- Assoc Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, NUS, 1993 - 1999;
- Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, NUS, 1999 – 2005;
- Professor, Division of Environmental Science & Engineering NUS, 2005 – 2007;
- Professor, School of Civil & Environmental Engineering, NTU, 2007 – continuing.
- Tan Chin Tuan Centennial Professorship, 2008 – 2011 (inaugural recipient at NTU).
- Exec-Director, Nanyang Environment & Water Research Institute (NEWRI), 2007-2017 (founding director).
Member of Professional Societies
- Fellow, Institution of Engineers Singapore
- Professional Engineer, PE Board Singapore
- Fellow, Academy of Engineering Singapore
- Chartered Engineer (CEng E&W), IES
Editorial Board Member
- Editorial Board member of the Journal of Environmental Sciences (JES)
Main research interest
NG’s research interests are on water, wastewater, and sludge and agri-waste management with focus on quality, treatment science, and development of treatment technologies. He has argued for a more sustainable approach to wastewater and wastes treatment through better sludge management and energy recovery with carbon capture and enhanced anaerobiosis.
The latter has led to his ongoing work on NPK release from sludges and agri-industrial residues, and recovery of this for blending with enzymes, phytohormones, and microbial cultures for production of biofertilizers. His research output may be found in some 600 publications which include journal papers, conference presentations, book chapters and monographs, reports, trade secrets, and patents.
Early IPs commercialized by NG included the aeSBR, anSBR, aeMSBR, Hybridan, Anfil, and APBF. Licensed patents include the deep shaft aerator and flocculator for the oil and gas industry. Recent discussions on IP licensing concern IPs on sludge management and resource recovery. Aside from his publication of papers in learned journals, NG has also written books and his last book publications are “Industrial Wastewater Treatment” and “Wetlands for Tropical Applications” (Imperial College Press).
He edits publications and the latest is a book titled “Wastewater Management & Kandy City Wastewater Management Project” which documents the implementation of the central wastewater treatment facility for Kandy City in Sri Lanka.
Current research project
- Annammox in membrane bioreactor for wastewater treatment with energy production.
- Cake Filtration for Next-Generation Separation.
- Water and Energy Saving Solutions for the Beverage Industry.
His contributions to industry, research, and education have been recognized with the ASEAN Engineering Award, Outstanding University Researcher Award, the Chevalier dans l’Ordre des Palmes Academiques and the Tan Chin Tuan Centennial Professorship.
He continues to be active in research and in 2005 his project on the anaerobic process for low strength wastewater was placed first in the national innovation competition for environmental technologies.
He is a fellow of the Institution of Engineers Singapore and was elected fellow at the Academy of Engineering Singapore in 2012. In July 2017, a project he led was recognized with the IES Prestigious Project Award.