Three functional areas are identified to achieve the missions of PTRC. They are (1) Research and Development, (2) Education and Training, and (3) Technology Transfer. The functional areas comprise the following activities:
- Conducting focused R&D programmes in dynamic and weapon effects on infrastructures and facilities.
- Establishing collaborations with local and foreign universities, research centres and industries.
- Effecting technology transfer.
- Maintaining a resource centre.
- Providing specialised advisory services.